Newsletter

Dairy Flat
School Newsletter
Strive for Excellence – Care for All

Term 3 – Week 6 – 27th August 2020

Term Dates 2020
Term 1 Mon 3rd Feb – Thurs 9th April
Term 2 Tues 28th April – Fri 3rd July
Term 3 Mon 20th July – Fri 25th Sept
Term 4 Mon 12th Oct – Mon 14th Dec (finish at 12.00pm) – TBC

Important Dates

SEPTEMBER
4 – Assembly – LZ4 sharing – 9.00am – Cancelled
11 – Whole School Assembly – Music – 1.30pm – TBC
23 – Production –  Matinee & Evening Performance – Deferred to Term 4
24 – Production – Evening Performance – Deferred to Term 4
25 – Term 3 ends – Alert Levels permitting

OCTOBER
12 – Term 4 starts
12 – Whole School – End of Term 3 Assembly – 9.00am
17 – Ag Day – 8.00-2.00pm
22 – Individual Photolife Photos starts at 8.00am for families with pre-schoolers
23 – Teacher Only Day – School closed
29 – 9.30am – Year 5/6 Cricket cluster tournament – Metro Park

NOVEMBER
2 – Kids for Kids Rehearsal and Concert
11 – Production –  Matinee & Evening Performance – Date change
12 – Production – Evening Performance – Date change
16 – 9.30am start – Athletics day – Whole school – Date change
14 – 1.00pm – Compost Collective – composting course
23 – 6.30pm – Year 6 Puberty Parent Meeting
24 – 9.00am – Year 5/6 Cluster Athletics tournament
26 – Year 5/6 RAIN save day Athletics Cluster tournament
30 – Start of Skillz for life swimming runs until 3rd December

SCHOOL NOTICES

Kia ora koutou

As the weekend approaches we are looking forward to level 2 on Monday. We can’t wait to get back to school and look forward to seeing all our school community. We are keen to welcome all our students back to school. 
The toilet block near the playground is in the midst of an upgrade and will be closed for the next few weeks. Students will be able to access the hall toilets until we re-open the toilet block. 
I would like to remind you that a number of calendar dates have changed. These include the production and athletics day. Cross country will be run as a colour run at school this term. The date is yet to be confirmed. 
We are very aware that this lockdown has proved to be more problematic for a number of our families. Please let us know if your child has developed anxiety or if there is anything you think it would be helpful for us to know. Children are reacting to the changes in their world and some of those changes are causing an increased fearfulness and anxiety. The wearing of masks is quite challenging for some and the increasing uncertainty of when their world will be back to normal is understandably, having an impact on their confidence, their resilience and their sense of safety. 
We are very aware of these influences at school and have been looking at ideas, concepts and programmes that may help. The Zones of Regulaton programme, which teaches children to recognise their own and others emotions, their individual triggers and tools to help calm themselves is an important part of our response to uncertainty, anxiety and fear. 

School at Alert level 2 is a bit different from usual and these expectations and guidelines are attached. Children will need a drink bottle as our fountains are closed. They also need to sanitise or wash their hands regularly. The biggest difference is that parents are not allowed onsite. Unlike other schools, we do allow parents of students just starting school to walk their child to the classroom. If your chhild is suffering from heightened anxiety, please let us know so that we can make a plan. 

Many thanks
Enjoy the weekend in your bubble!
Keep smiling
We are nearly there!

Ag Day
Ag day on the 17th October

Yah! We are going ahead with Ag day on the 17th October.
In the Ag day folder (on the table, in the office foyer) and on the DF school website is all the information sheets for animals and exhibits.
Calves are back this year and there is new criteria on the judging sheets that you need to be aware of.
If entering a lamb, goat or calf they are eligible to be entered in Ag day if born from the 1st July

Mystery seeds

available from Room 1 before 9 and after 3pm every day
$2 for a packet of seeds & a small pot to start growing your plants in

Please see attachment below – Information sheet of choices avail;able

Open attachment, select more options, select Word (desktop)

North Vets
will be coming into school on Thursday 3rd September at 2 o’clock to dock, ring and give 1st injection
Would you please let Mrs Mowet in Room 1 in know by Tuesday 2nd September if you intend to bring an animal so we can let the vets know numbers to expect

PTA

Silent auction donations: The silent auction is a big fundraiser at Ag Day – last year the silent auction raised almost $9,000. If you work in or know a business that can contribute goods or services (vouchers) for the silent auction please reach out to Paula in the office ([email protected]).

Pyjama Disco will be held on Friday 28th August 5.30-7.30pm in the School Hall. Wear your onesie or pyjamas. $5 entry includes a sausage sizzle. Other food and drink items will be available for purchase. Looking forward to a great night! – EVENT CANCELLED

Second hand school uniforms: On Friday 4th September the PTA plan to run an after school pop-up stall selling a variety treats and second hand uniforms. If you have uniform items to donate you can drop them off in the school office.

Honey Order Update: The honey will be delivered to the students as soon as school reopens. We have plenty of stock so please get in touch if you haven’t placed your order yet

Given we have now gone into Level 3 lockdown there is uncertainty about whether we will be able to proceed as planned

We will provide an update next week when the situation in Auckland becomes clearer

Please see link below showing the Ag Day Poster & the items required each week though out this term

LZ2 Writing 

The Delicious Dinner

As I smelt it I knew it was coming because of the scent. As we got the dinner it was roasted, the sauce was gooey. The taste flickered on my tongue, it was a new world. The scent smelt like a next level one. I knew what it was, it was squishy, it was great, it was as nice as a whole pool of diamonds. I knew it was coming. It was roast. The great running gravy, and the nice cooked peas, and the buns, and the best thing of all…the potatoes. It was beautiful, it was yummy, it was cooked. It was the best thing my tongue has ever tasted. It was roast. The yummy delicious scent flowed across the kitchen and went in my nose. It felt very gooey and very squishy and it was very very messy. It dribbled down my chin. The scent was amazing but it was filling. As I looked at it, it looked weird but the taste was the best thing ever, I could never stop. I licked my lips and put my plate away. “That was the best” I said, as I went away. The next night I could smell the smell again, it was the roasted meat and the potatoes. It was the gooey taste and the gooey feeling. And I could never believe it was true. I took a nibble, the flavours burst in my mouth. I did not know what was better, the taste or the smell, but then I knew for 100 percent it was the taste. As I took another bite my mouth was bursting to life. And I just wanted more and more and more, I could never stop! 

By Isla Bourhill

Orewa College – Out of Zone Ballot 2021

The close of Orewa College ballot date is 2 September 2020 (this will not change due to lockdown) for out of zone enrolments 2021.  Applications can be submitted online on the Orewa College Website. The required documents listed on our website do not need to be uploaded now, this can be done after the ballot, however the form must be submitted no later than 2 September to be included in the out of zone ballot.

Orewa College Enrolment

Applications are submitted online for our 2021 enrolments.

Please visit our website under Information/Enrol

Out of zone applications will be entered in a ballot which will be completed in September 2020.

Students enrolling at other year levels are invited to book a school  tour, the link to book is on our website.

Information Evening – Thursday 27 August, 7.00-8.30 pm in the Orewa College Arts and Event Centre.

www.orewacollege.nz 

Email: [email protected]

Notification received from Orewa College this information evening has been postponed until further notice

COMMUNITY NOTICES

Copyright © Dairy Flat School 2019
Click here to unsubscribe.
Powered by KiwiSchools 4.0
Call us on 09 415 9071
Email us at [email protected]
1220 Dairy Flat Hwy Dairy Flat Auckland